I love the holidays. The cooler weather (yes, even in San Diego), the family, the cheer, the parties, the gifts the abundance of smiles and hugs. What is there to not be happy about?
Well…I think the one negative is the proverbial “5 pound holiday weight gain” that very few would argue with. Whether you gain it or not, the opportunity is definitely there. There is simply more sugar, frosting, butter, alcohol, and cheese plates around these days combined with a lack of time for exercise and self care.
I refuse to be the healthy grinch who stole all the Christmas fun and tell you to avoid it all and stress your willpower to the max and feel isolated from the celebrations.
But I would like to point out that Healthy and Happy can actually live in harmony together. I have for you a few Simple Secrets to kick up the health notch just a bit this year without compromising the happiness!
10 Healthy Twists on Holiday Traditions
- Instead of baked goods, candy or booze as a gift for hosts, why not some yummy scented candles, bath salts or fresh flowers?
- Instead of watching TV after a big meal, why not go for an outdoor adventure if weather permits or play an active board game if it does not?
- Instead of tons of egg nog, why not some homemade apple cider with super food powers?
- Instead of cheesy clam and artichoke dips and chips, why not a healthy black bean dip with a veggie tray?
- Instead of burrowing yourself under the covers, why not do this quick tabata workout first thing in the morning?
- Instead of skipping breakfast or in lieu of a traditional sugar loaded fancy french toast, why not try this healthier french toast or these health boosting pancakes?
- Instead of filling up on or serving cheese, salami and cracker appetizers, why not try this Skinny Butternut Squash Soup recipe?
- Instead of overdoing it everywhere at the next holiday party, why not follow one or all of these 9 tips for healthy holiday party success?
- Instead of throwing in the towel on the rest of 2017 after an indulgent event, why not clean things up fast with my 3-Day Detox?
- Instead of letting your holiday manage you, why don’t you manage your holiday and take control of your day by following the healthy holiday checklist below?
Healthy Holiday Checklist
There you have it, just few ideas off the top of my head. If you could sneak in one or all ten of them, chances are you’ll roll into 2018 feeling a little stronger, healthier, happier and in control!
What tradition can you put a new twist on to make the most of the happy and healthy season?