This is it. The BEST 30-Day Plank Challenge of all. I feel like I should disclaim that for fear of the FTC coming after me, but well, oh well. I’ll be really honest, this is an awesome challenge and we’re starting as a group on Monday, February 1st 2016! Get your timer and your core ready, things are about to get a whole lot sturdier very quickly!
Why the 30-Day Plank Challenge?
Plank exercises are some of the overall best exercises you can do to strengthen your entire core. And keep in mind, your core includes a whole lot more than just your abs. It’s essentially your entire body less your arms, legs and head. For a very minimal time investment, you challenge all the major muscles, strengthening your body, improving balance and preventing future injuries. And not to mention, the plank is 100% excuse free, meaning no special gear, machines or equipment are required. All you need is a timer and you can drop anywhere and get your core work in!
Why Planks are Better than Crunches
That is a fairly broad statement. But as a runner, it turns out crunches aren’t the best exercise for to strengthen our core. Too many can tighten our hip flexors and I learned this as I was researching that funky hip pain I had towards the end of last year. As a part of my recovery, crunches were eliminated. And I LOVE crunches. As it turns out, core stabilization exercises are much more effective for us runner folks, so I’m bringing the 30-Day Plan Challenge back!
How to do the 30-Day Plank Challenge
Every day for 30 days you will hold a plank and a side plank (on each side) and time yourself. The two planks are in divided into 4 tiers, or levels, ensuring your body is always challenged and you continue to grow through the entire month. As you get stronger, and you can hold a level for 90 seconds, you graduate to the next level – how fun is that? Here’s what you’re looking at:
Regular Plank Tiers
- Level 1: Static Knee Forearm Plank
- Level 2: Static Forearm Plank
- Level 3: Static 1 Leg Forearm Plank
- Level 4: Dynamic Elbow to Wrist Plank
Side Plank Tiers
- Level 1: Static Knee Side Forearm Plank
- Level 2: Static Low Side Forearm Plank
- Level 3: Static 1 Leg Side Forearm Plank
- Level 4: Dynamic Side Forearm Plank with Hip Dip
The Fine Print:
- On day one, you start with the level that works best for you and hold for as long as you can maintain good form. That will be your benchmark time. I recommend starting at level one, but you know your body best.
- Everyday thereafter, you simply hold the plank longer. Aim for something like a 10 second improvement. When you reach 90 seconds, and your form is still perfect then it is time to advance to the next level of the challenge. Remember, all days might not be better, that’s ok and normal. Focus on the overall trend and celebrate every day you get stronger! Everybody will be different and it’s up to you to decide when to take rest days.
- Once you reach Level 4, you simply focus on moving through the dynamic moves for as long as you can and focus on the endurance of the exercise to continue to challenge your body and improve.
- Record your level and your times on your daily tracker so you can easily measure and review your strength improvement throughout the challenge.
Getting started on the 30-Day Plank Challenge
- Like Teresa Marie Wellness on FaceBook.
- Request access to the Private Coaching Group. This is where daily coaching reminders are posted and where you share how long and which level plank you did each day and any results or brags you have. You only need to join this group once and you’ll automatically be signed up for all future challenges.
- Enlist support and invite your friends. Will make it easier and way more fun!
- Get access to all the trackers by joining the community here. If you have already signed up for a Challenge Series Event in the past, you will receive the monthly broadcast email on 1/27 with a link to all the updated trackers.
- Mark your personal calendar, because your challenge starts Monday February 1st, 2016!
- Take your before picture because you will want it in 30 days from now!