I don’t know about you…but every once in a while I find myself at the mercy of the pizza delivery guy or the oven pizza that I picked up at the grocery store on the way home. And most of the time, it’s not even a convenience factor — it’s simply because I want pizza! Why? I don’t know really, it’s just a craving I get…frequently. The frustrating part is that if you’re “eating clean” pizza is kind of the devil, full of gluten, saturated animal fat and smothered the even more hated dairy.
One night, when we were falling victim to this craving…I decided to fight back. I figured I couldn’t get away from the gluten or the cheese, but I’m not gluten free anyway, so for me, it really makes no difference. I decided that by “fighting back” that I could substantially cut the fat and calories and at the same time amplify the overall health of the meal by loading it up with fresh, colorful veggies. If it hadn’t already gone to print, this would most certainly be included as a part of my Color Yourself Skinny healthy living system.
So hear you have it! For about the equivalent of one slice of a supreme piece of traditional pizza, you get to eat this entire meal! It feels like a feast and you can feel good for kicking your craving and feeding your body with pretty good stuff. This is kind of one of those win-win recipes. Bookmark this healthy pizza recipe…you never know when that craving can kick in!
- 1 Whole Wheat Pita Bread Pocket
- 1/2 cup shredded Low Fat Mozzarella
- 4T Light Pasta Sauce
- 1/8 Onion
- 1/2 Yellow Squash
- 1/2 Fresh Tomato
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms
- ½ cup Spinach Leaves
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- Basil, red peppers and salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 and cover a baking sheet with foil.
- Split the pita bread in half carefully, to make base for 2 mini pizzas.
- Thinly slice garlic, onions, squash, tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Add the garlic and onion to heated skillet with ¼ cup water sauté for about 2 minutes. Add squash and sauté for another minute then add mushrooms and cook until tender, adding extra water as needed. Season with basil, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Evenly divide pasta sauce between two halves and top with spinach and a little bit of the cheese. Add sliced tomatoes and a little more cheese. Add sautéed veggies and the rest of the cheese.
- Top with additional basil and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted and edges are crispy.
Nutrition: 346 calories, 4.5g fat, 25.3g protein, 9.3g fiber. If you follow Color Yourself Skinny, this is a RED DINNER.
Note: This is fork eating pizza because the sautéed veggies and the then pita crust, but it is so satisfying, it will not matter!