One of my favorite quote ever is from David Zinczenko, author of the Eat This, Not That series where he says:
You should typically avoid anything with the word “cake” in it. Particularly for breakfast.
Bah! So true right?
However, one of the coolest things about the Clean & Colorful Solution is that the emphasis is not put on what you CAN’T have. So I won’t tell you this morning that you need to stop eating pancakes because it has the word cake in it. What I will do, is show you a way to make them with healthy and whole ingredients with nutrition benefits that far surpass your traditional processed white flour and refined sugary syrup!
Clean & Colorful Pancake Recipe
Coconut Flax Pancake Recipes
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2T Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 2 cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 T Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 T Ground Flax Seeds
Fresh Berry Puree Topping
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup Strawberries
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1T Honey
- Sift together the flour, coconut flour, baking powder, coconut flakes and salt in a large bowl.
- Create a hole in the centre of your dried ingredients and add egg, coconut oil and almond milk. Stir until well combined and fold in flax seeds.
- Heat a skillet and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Use 1/4 measuring cup and pour batter in pan and cook until bubbles come through and the bottom is toasty brown and ready to flip – about 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another minute or two.
- For berry puree, add fruit, orange juice, honey and cinnamon to a small sauce pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the contents into your blender and blend on low for a 30 seconds to pulverize all ingredients. Increase speed and blend for an additional minute until super smooth.
- Plate 2-3 pancakes and top with berry puree and serve!
Clean & Colorful Pancake Nutrition
This recipe will yield 10 pancakes and enough berry puree to cover them deliciously. Depending on your appetite, this could be as much as 4 servings with about 300 calories, 9g fiber and 9g of protein. Not bad, right?
In case you’re wondering your standard stack of flip jacks from the local diner will run you about 528 calories, 21 g fat, 6 g protein and only 1 g of fiber. You see? Not only is this Clean and Colorful Pancake recipe delicious and innovative, it’s a Grade A recipe, high in calcium, fiber, phosphorus and vitamin C. Let’s just call it the blue ribbon winner of healthy pancake recipes!
Want more Clean and Colorful Recipes?
Good news! I’m working on a 28-Day Program right now! It will come with 28 days of menus and recipes that ensure you achieve all 4 of the universal diet truths! That means it also comes with 28-Days of workouts too! Yahoo! When you sign up for the free Clean & Colorful Jumpstart Guide, you’ll automatically be on the list for program development updates!
Do you have another healthy pancake recipe trick? I’d love to hear it!