Welcome back Liz Shaw, MS RD and founder of Shaw Simple Swaps. More importantly, one of my favorite healthy food bloggers in the blog-o-sphere. There has never been a recipe of hers that I didn’t love! Our kitchens and pantries must be mirror images of each other because I simply love the way she cooks! Last month she shared her Blueberry Lemonade Chiller, and now I can’t wait to make this Avocado Pesto Salad! Bon Appetite!
Summer is finally here, and with it, comes the infamous BBQs, picnics and poolside fiestas! I don’t know about you, but I can only stand so much potato and egg salads before I feel blah. You feel me too, great!
That’s why I came up with this Avocado Pesto Pasta, the perfect light, healthy and fresh salad to win over a crowd while packing a punch of nutrition. The healthy fats from the avocado and fresh herbs and vegetables make this a great accompaniment to a delish grilled salmon, chicken or tofu, depending on your diet preferences.
Avocado Pesto Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 medium avocado
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, 0% fat
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp jalapeno powder (or spicy pepper)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 oz rigatoni pasta, cooked
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup spinach
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup skim feta cheese
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- In a food processor, pulse avocado, lemon juice, rice vinegar, garlic, cilantro and jalapeno powder into a thin, sauce like consistency.
- Combine vegetables, pasta (cooled), and the pesto sauce in a large bowl.
- Mix feta cheese into bowl.
- Portion out and top with freshly roasted peanuts!
- Enjoy as a side or a main meal with a slice of fruit!
Be sure to check out the post here for more details about the recipe, a printable recipe card and all the healthy nutrition facts! While you’re there, be sure to pick up some more great recipes and tips to make your summer season a little bit healthier for all!
Subscribe to Blog via Email