Fall is just around the corner, so we only have a little time left to enjoy those summer salads! We all know that eating in season is a great way to save money and the planet. It also happens to be the best way to boost the flavor and nutrient quality of your most favorite recipes. Here is one of my all-time favorite summer salads. It’s pretty easy to throw together and has a sweet and satisfying flavor profile. It’s good for your body and will impress your guests at your next get together for sure!
Food can keep you healthy and strong or derail your health big time. I’m a huge fan of eating not just for flavor but also for power and fuel. The more colorful your food the better, and this is the entire premise of my healthy lifestyle system, The Clean & Colorful Solution (which is now included in my Simple Secrets program). You probably already know what you shouldn’t be eating, this is a great system to teach you how to enjoy and really look forward to the food that you should be eating. This is a great sample recipe and really a perfect for the summer season!
High Protein Cucumber & Shrimp Summer Salad
- 9 oz cooked Shrimp
- 1 Cucumber
- ½ Red Pepper
- 1 Avocado
- 3 T Rice Vinegar
- ½ tsp Garlic Salt
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 Yellow or Orange Peppers
- 3 cups Raw Spinach
- Dice cucumber, red pepper and shrimp
- Add 2 T vinegar, spices, salt and pepper to taste
- Stir to mix flavors. (The longer it sits, the stronger the flavors become!)
- Toss spinach with 1 T vinegar and plate.
- Core the yellow peppers, making a bowl and fill with cucumber mixture
- Place the pepper on the spinach and serve.
Watch a quick video on how to make and some nutritional highlights!
Nutrition: This recipe will make three servings with 274 calories, 7g fiber and 24g of protein!
Featured Summer Produce Superstars
While a lot of these guys are available year round at the grocery store, their peak production and best flavor will be in the summertime. A.k.a. right now, so go load up on these guys! Find out what other produce is great to eat in the Summer Season in this post: Eating in Season and Summer is Delicious!
- Cucumber (April – September): Good source of vitamin K, traces of vitamins A and C, minerals potassium, magnesium, calcium and fiber. Cucumbers are 95% water, making them a great vegetable for juicing and detoxing. They have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits from the polyphenol lignin, are low on the glycemic index and very alkaline forming in your body helping to regulate PH and blood sugar.
- Bell Peppers (July – September): Good source of vitamins A, B and C and fiber. Loaded with carotenoids and lycopene. The more raw and ripe the pepper is, the stronger the antioxidant capacity. Peppers are also low on the glycemic index and alkaline forming in your body to help regulate PH and blood sugar.
- Avocado (February – September): Good source of vitamins B, C, E and K, the mineral potassium and fiber. High in calories, but from monounsaturated and omega-3 fatty acids which improve heart health, lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol. Strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties with phytochemicals like polyphenols, flavonoids, phytosterols and carotenoids like lutein. Also has glutathione, which is known to help ease the aging process. Avocados are low on the glycemic index and very alkaline forming in your body helping to regulate PH and blood sugar.
- Spinach (May – October): Good source of vitamins A, B, C, E, and K as well as minerals manganese, zinc, and selenium. Strong anti-inflammatory benefits and a good source of flavonoids and the carotenoids beta-carotene, lutein, and zaexanthin. Cooking spinach improves bioavailability of nutrients, but juicing is said to be the best. Spinach is low on the glycemic index helping to regulate blood sugar.