I’m home sick today. Sunday Funday officially turned Sunday Sickday. But, that is a part of the change in seasons and I’m certain a result of the fact that I’ve been on 14 flights in the past 18 days. I see food as fuel. And this is a easy sweet potato vegan chili recipe I lean on to get myself back into top notch health.
This is an interesting and artistic recipe that is easy to change based on what nutrients you think your body needs. You can also base it on what you have in your cupboards — lol. Often, when you’re not feeling well, the last thing you want to do is forge the grocery store.
Sweet Potato Vegan Chili Ingredients
- 2 tsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cups diced sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 -4 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 -2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (if you like spicy)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne (if you like spicy)
- 1-2 cup cold water
- 1 16-oz cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 16-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 16-oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 1 chopped yellow pepper
- Salt or garlic salt to taste
Sweet Potato Vegan Chili Directions
- Heat 6-8 qt pot over medium flame. When hot, add oil, onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, chili powder, oregano and cumin (and red pepper flakes and cayenne, if you like spicy). Cook on low heat until the onion is very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir from time to time. If it looks dry, add water.
- Add the beans and more water if needed, cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add the apples and peppers and more water if needed, uncovered, for 30 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
- After the chili cools, divide it into portions. You can refrigerate it for up to 5 days or freeze if for up to 2 months.
Sweet Potato Vegan Chili Nurition Analysis
This makes 7- 1 cup servings that have 250 calories, 11 g protein and 12 g fiber each. Bargain! Also Very low in saturated fat, no cholesterol, low in sodium, high in dietary fiber, high in manganese, high in magnesium, high in potassium, high in thiamin, very high in vitamin A, high in vitamin B6, very high in vitamin C. Yay!
File this one away for the next day you’re under the weather and feel like feeding your body nothing but healthy goodness.
Subscribe to Blog via Email