We’ve moved a mile a day, and we’ve tackled our first or fastest mile. Welcome to the third running/walking challenge from the 30-Day Challenge Series: THE 100 MILE MONTH! And we’re launching this bad boy in February 2015 with the hot-spanking-new 30 Day Foam Roller Challenge! Take one, or take both — but let this month be your most fun and fit yet!
Why Take the 100 Mile Month Challenge?
Because moving more is a good thing! Health organizations agree that moving more is a great way to not only slim down, tone up, manage stress, boost your mood and confidence! It’s also a great way to improve your health and decrease your risk of heart disease, the number one killer of men and women in America and other lifestyle related degenerative diseases.
What exactly does the 100 Mile Month Challenge involve?
This one is pretty simple, you can walk it, run it, jog it, crawl it, or even swim it! Just move 100 miles this month 100% wheels free. No skating, cycling or driving. You must use your body to move yourself forward for a total of 100 miles this month. It will be up to you to decide when and where to get in your miles, but it should average just over 3 miles per day. All movement counts — this does not need to be dedicated “exercise.” It includes all your daily movement PLUS your planned exercise.
Does the 100 Mile Month Challenge Sound Hard?
It might, because 100 miles is really far! It’s nearly 4 full marathons and if you walk a standard 20 min mile, this can take over 30 hours to complete! Even if you’re a runner, it’s 15 hours of jogging at a 10 min mile. Oooch! But let’s get real here and not forget that there is a standard goal out there to move 10,000 steps a day, which is roughly 5 miles depending on your stride length. And we’re not just talking dedicated exercise, this is all of it! By simply committing, making a small effort and tracking your daily mileage, you’ll be amazed at how fast it adds up! You might even find you don’t need the entire month to get there.
Easy Ways To Get In More Mileage This Month:
- Don’t drive, walk. If it’s walkable, do it. Save the planet and get to your goal faster.
- If you do drive, park really far away.
- Use less email/messaging at the office and walk to see your co-workers.
- Drink more water, you’ll have to go to the bathroom more.
- Schedule walking dates over coffee dates and weekend hikes instead of lunches.
- Get lost – ha ha, but this one is fool proof.
- Pretend your elevator is out of service this month, the stairs are there for reason.
- Require 10 min of neighborhood walking before sitting on the couch at night.
- Walk around the gym (outside the entire building) before you go it (if it’s safe of course).
See how easy it can be? All of those ideas could add up to 100 miles right there! And that’s not counting your regular exercise.
The Fine Print for the 100 Mile Month Challenge:
- You will need some sort of device to track your steps in addition to your planned exercise. A Fitbit or any wearable device is best, but even a simple pocket pedometer will work too and they are much less expensive.
- Always be safe and alert when walking outside and schedule walking dates with buddies whenever possible. It’s more fun and there is safety in numbers.
- This challenge is designed to help you build the habit to move more! But a dramatic increase in mileage and movement can be taxing on your body as well. Be sure to check out this post on the 5 Best Stretches for Runners and take the Foam Rolling Challenge to keep you pain free and moving forward.
- At the beginning of the month you will record weight and basic measurements. At the end of the month, you will do the same thing to measure your progress.
- Use your tracker and the FaceBook Event to record your daily mileage. Let’s see how fast we can get there and how far we can go this month!
- And as with any and all 30 Day Challenges, be sure to check with your doctor before you start any new exercise regimen.
Getting Started on the 100 Mile Month Challenge:
- Like the Teresa Marie Wellness on FaceBook now.
- Find the 100 Mile Month and 30 Day Foam Roller Challenge under Events and click “going” then invite your friends to make it more fun.
- Get access to all the trackers by joining the community here. If you have already signed up, then you know where to find them and your monthly newsletter will arrive Wednesday 1/28 as a reminder.
- Mark your personal calendar, because your challenge starts Sunday February 1st!
Don’t forget to sign up and get your fun tracker!