I was running the other day, my final 8 mile taper run before the big Marathon this weekend, and I was behind a gal who was running with nothing but her phone in her hand. I found myself jealous. When did I become such a high-maintenance, complicated runner? Geared up with bright colored shoes, compression socks, my giant GPS watch, a waist belt for my phone (I won’t risk dropping it) and my huge pink wired headphones. It’s kind of ridiculous really.
But I can’t help it! Or at least I couldn’t until this TIMEX IRONMAN ONE GPS+ came into my life. It’s kind of a running miracle. It combines all the magic of my existing GPS and combines it with the magic of my phone and it syncs to my wireless headphones. I may not be able to do anything about the yellow shoes and blue socks right now, but at least I can combine electronics and get rid of wires!
Seriously, this watch is one magic device:
- GPS for Speed and Distance. This, I could not go without. And yes, there are aps on your phone, but again, I don’t like to run with my phone in my hand and it’s important to see pace and splits, not to mention know how far you have run or for how long. This means it must be a watch.
- Music! Yes, 1000 songs can play to your wireless headphones. As much as I love the pink wire from my headphones, not untangling it every time I go for a run is not something I’ll miss. And 1000 songs? Really? I only have 57 on my marathon play list.
- Messaging! What? Yes! Before I ran with my phone strapped to my back for music (my trusty old-school iPod shuffle finally bit the dust), do you have any idea how many times I wished my watch could send a message? I mean, if it’s syncing to satellites to tell me where I am, surly it could let me share that information with someone else too, right?
- Live Tracking. Oh ya. Not just for fancy races anymore and you can save yourself the fees associated with runner tracking on race day (not all races charge, but it bothers me when they do.) Now going for a run and trying to meet up with someone will be so much easier when they know exactly where I am. Not to mention the safety and peace of mind that comes from knowing someone knows where I am when I’m out running alone.
- Touchscreen. With Qualcomm Mirasol display that only gets brighter in sunlight. While shade is nice on a hot run, stopping to check split times is not.
- One portal to review all your stats. This is an easy way to compare workout over workout growth and see your progress.
I can’t tell you how weird it feels to just put on a watch and go. I kept doing double checks because I felt like I had forgotten something. The rituals of getting ready for a run are so much simpler now! The best part about this post is not just how geeked out I am over TIMEX figuring out how to solve so many runner problems…it’s that I HAVE ONE TO GIVEAWAY! Yes! I have a $200 watch to simply give away to one reader who will get to geek out with me.
Seriously, I can’t wait to see if there are any of you out there who can match my inner (and until now, outer) running nerd!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Timex.