I love a good guest post! My friend Caitlin is the awesome fitness blogger behind Fitgevity Solutions. She is a dancer, writer, recipe creator, fitness enthusiast and overall, grade-A cool chick. She was kind enough to write this post today highlighting the benefits of MCT Oil. This is something I’ve been wanting to write about for a while now, since I gave into the Bullet Proof Coffee craze.
Thank you Caitlin for this awesome post!
Benefits of MCT Oil: Rocket Fuel For Your Mind And Body
But first, a quiz:
Q: What do Red Bull, rocket fuel, MCT oil, and the Road Runner all have in common?
A: Awesome energy!
Q: Which should you be consuming to keep your energy levels high?
A: Since Red Bull is probably just as nutritious as rocket fuel, choose MCT oil!
My Intro To MCT Oil
I was introduced to Bulletproof Coffee about a year ago. My boyfriend’s birthday was coming up and I had no idea what to buy him. Generally speaking, he’s a tough guy to buy for – someone who usually purchases what he wants when he wants it, and isn’t shy when it comes to letting you know that maybe you shouldn’t have. “Oh dang, you mean you don’t like those Christmas tree socks?”
Anyways, Kyle is always researching new ways to work on self improvement. A few weeks before his birthday he introduced me to Bulletproof Coffee, and how he’d been dying to try it. This coffee is supposed enhance your performance abilities, and in the words of Bulletproof it “powerfully energizes you, keeps your focus rock steady, and delivers crucial nutrient density far beyond expectations.” As Kyle described this coffee, it felt like he was describing some magic potion for success. Bam, right then and there I knew what I was getting Kyle for his birthday!
As I learned more about Bulletproof Coffee and its ingredients I began to realize that while the combo of ingredients ultimately makes this magic potion, MCT oil is kind of the star.
What is MCT Oil?
For anyone who doesn’t know what MCT oil is, it stands for medium chain triglycerides. These short-chain fats, found most notably in coconut oil and MCT oil, differ from long chain triglycerides (LCTs), found in most other foods, in a variety of ways.
- First, MCTs are able to bypass the digestion process that LCTs go through. Since MCTs aren’t slowed down by this digestion process, they become a quick energy source for the body, and are less likely to be stored in fat cells.
- Second, MCTs like to pretend they’re carbs. – I mean, who can blame them? Carbs are delish! Since MCTs are easy to absorb, they head straight to the liver where they act similar to carbohydrates and provide instant and sustainable energy. Think about that next time you reach for a Red Bull!
Five Benefits of MCT Oil
Now that we know what MCTs are, we can move on to the fun stuff: How MCTs can benefit us both in body and mind!
- Weight loss – Help boost weight loss by adding MCT oil to your diet. Like we discussed earlier, since MCT oil is burned quickly it’s less likely to be stored as fat than LCTs. Also, one study found that MCTs increased the metabolic rate of its subjects.
- Mind – MCTs enhance ketone production which is a more efficient fuel for the brain. This can help make you feel clearer, sharper, and cognitively faster.
- Increased energy – Once again, as we discussed earlier, since MCTs act like a carb they provide instant energy like a carb. You can usually feel the energy benefits of MCTs shortly after consuming them!
- Nutrient absorption – MCTs can help improve the absorption of some vitamins and minerals.
- Other health benefits – Some studies suggest that MCTs help regulate blood sugars, may improve thyroid function, and have been used to treat diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Crohn’s Disease, and cystic fibrosis.
Nine Ways to Add MCT Oil Into Your Diet
Incorporating MCT oil into your diet isn’t as hard as it may seem. If you’re already whipping up delicious protein shakes, coffee, or aren’t weirded out by eating tablespoons of coconut oil, then adding MCT oil to your diet should be easy! Bulletproof suggests incorporating 1-3 tablespoons of MCT oil into your diet daily. Start small with one tablespoon and work your way up to three tablespoons to avoid possible diarrhea or stomach upset.
- Mix MCT oil into your coffee or tea.
- Add to smoothies or protein shakes.
- Top oatmeal with MCT oil.
- Spread on toast instead of butter.
- Mix into no bake granola bars.
- Add to soup.
- Use as cooking oil as long as you stick with a low temp – under 320 degrees.
- Be bold and eat a tablespoon of MCT oil.
- Down a few good ol’ MCT oil gel caps.
MCT oil isn’t the be-all and end-all of weight loss, energy boosting, and mind hacking tricks, but it certainly helps! Let yourself be the judge. Try adding MCT oil to your diet for a few weeks, and see how you look and feel. Also try playing around with the suggested dose of 1-3 tablespoons of MCT oil per day and see what the best dose is for you. There’s really no right or wrong answer. The best answer comes down to how MCT oil works for you. So give MCT oil a try, and see how your life can be changed for the better!
Thank you Caitlin for this awesome post! You can learn more about her and what’s she’s doing over at her blog, Fitgevity Solutions!
Subscribe to Blog via Email