Healthy snacks will make or break your journey to health and happiness. You need to have the good ones on hand to stave of the munchies and over-eating at meal times. Some people have a negative association with the term “snacking” as if it’s a bad habit. And for good reason, a crummy snacking strategy (or zero strategy) can lead to all kinds of disruptions in your diet.
Clean & Colorful Snacking to the Rescue!
Heathy snacks can be tricky because you can take “healthy” ingredients, but if you use too much or don’t pair them together well, you can be biting your efforts in the rear. That’s why Clean & Colorful Snacking comes in. There are three simple strategies you can strive to achieve (but actually 2/3 ain’t so bad) and you’re on your way to a snacking strategy that does in fact help you fight cravings, boost energy and even lose weight!
3 Clean & Colorful Snacking Strategies:
- Every 3 hours
- Eat each of the 3 macro nutrients
- With at least 3 colors
**I’ll add the weight concious calorie limit of 100-200 calories too.
It’s so simple, and here is why this formula works:
- By eating every 3 hours, you’re never starving, making it far less likely you’ll binge at your next meal, regulates your blood sugar and staves off the munchies.
- By getting in all the macronutrients, you get it all! Carbohydrates give you instant energy, protein to repair and grow and fat to make you feel full and satisfied. Matching carbohydrates with protein, fiber and fat can also help avoid massive blood sugar spikes.
- By getting in 3 colors, this helps ensure you’re eating natural, fresh produce supplying your body with essential vitamins and minerals to maintain optimal health.
If you meet all 3 of the criteria, you’re nearly guaranteed to find a balanced, healthy, nutritious snack to fuel your body properly. It’s almost impossible to cheat the system. And I strongly suggest modifying or skipping any snack that does not meet at least 2.
Guidelines to Follow for Weight Loss:
You will want to watch portion sizes though, and aim to have all snacks to be 150-200 calories. This allows you to have breakfast, lunch and dinner with a calorie range of 250-350. These guidelines will ensure you get to eat six high quality meals and stay in a calorie range 1200-1600 per day. Which, depending on your body composition and activity level, should yield some pretty killer weight loss.
So what is the formula for easy and healthy snack recipes?
Well it’s going to depend on what your favorite foods are, if your a sweet and savory snacker and what you have access to throughout the day. I’d suggest this fun little exercise to help you come up with plenty of great ideas that suit your taste and lifestyle.
- Make a list of at least 5 of your favorite proteins.
- Make a list of at least 5 of your favorite carbohydrates.
- Make a list of some of your favorite healthy fats.
Need some Healthy Snack Ideas?
Check out my 40+ healthy snacks you can make today!
Subscribe to Blog via Email