I believe food is fuel, and that is its primary purpose. I also happen to really like food, so I want my fuel to taste good and do great things for my body. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one. The problem here is the perception that healthy eating is time consuming, expensive, complicated and simply too hard to deal with mid-week. Without proper planning, all of those things can be true. On the flip side, with proper planning, all of those things are false.
Welcome to the crockpot and storage containers!
By maximizing your time in the kitchen with an easy crockpot recipe you can save time and money and fuel your body with optimal nutrition that actually tastes really good too! This recipe involves all of about 20 minutes of prep time and about $10 at the market. Then you serve it up in single serve storage containers and refrigerate or freeze leftovers and you literally have lunch or dinner on hand for the entire week. It would take longer and cost more to make it through the drive through each day!
Have I convinced you yet to dust off your crockpot and make a grocery list? In fact, it’s highly possible that many of these ingredients are already in your pantry (it’s kind of how I designed the recipe – ha!). Where there is a will there is a way. I will always provide you with Simple Secrets to really help make better health and more happiness a reality for you.
Easy Crockpot Recipe: Vegan Chili With Sweet Potatoes
- ½ large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 -4 tbsp chili powder*
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano*
- 1 -2 tsp ground cumin*
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes* (if you like spicy)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne* (if you like spicy)
- 1-2 cup water
- 1 15-oz cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 15-oz can white beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 7–oz can mild roasted chilies, diced
- Salt or garlic salt to taste*
*Huge variations in spices because it’s chili, you personalize it with your own spice ratios.
Directions: Add all ingredients to your crockpot, stir and let cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Dish it out and serve or store! Top it off with non-fat Greek yogurt or some shredded cheese for extra flavor if you’d like (no longer vegan).
Nutrition: This recipe makes 5 servings (perfect for one full week!) with less than 300 calories per serving, but plenty of fiber (16g) and protein (16g) to keep you healthy and strong and satisfied. It also has more than ¾ of your daily vitamin A, 11% calcium and almost 1/3 of your iron and is very high in B6. For those of you who follow Color Yourself Skinny, this is an Orange Lunch.
Make Your Move and Get the Right Gear
You may recall I’ve been a part of the Kohl’s Make Your Move campaign since January. And sadly, this is my final, official post. What a treat and great learning experience it has been to discover all the great resources they provide to help us all eat healthier, exercise more, manage stress and sleep better. Just in case you don’t have a trusty crockpot, Kohl’s has quite the variety to pick from.
- I have this 4qt version and it works great for me and the boyfriend.
- If you’re feeding an entire family, a larger 6qt version may be a better fit.
- If you’re taking your crockpot on the go, you can even buy it a jacket.
- If you need storage containers, you can pick those up too!
What’s your favorite Easy Crockpot recipe?
Ready to #MakeYourMove and have healthy lunch prepared this week?
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Kohl’s.
Subscribe to Blog via Email