I have been wanting to find a local fruit and vegetable delivery servie for ages! I could never quite find the time to get the ball rolling. When this opportunity* came up to work with Farm Fresh To You, I jumped on it! You all know I’m a vegetable advocate, hence the creation of my 21-Day Healthy Living System; Color Yourself Skinny where the sole focus is put on the simplicity of eating more fresh fruits and vegetables. Not to mention, we just kicked off the 30-Day Clean Eating Challenge, the timing was just perfect!
Why I’ve always wanted a vegetable delivery service
I love the idea of local, organic foods showing up at my door from a local farmer. I think it’s the coolest thing ever! I also particularly love a challenge. And when a pile of odd, perishable veggies you don’t always consume show up at your door, it’s a fun game to get them gobbled up before they go bad.
This shipment was no exception and came with some items I use quite a bit like apples, romaine lettuce, kale, carrots and beets…but there were some oddballs in there too. Fennel, pomegranate, fresh pumpkin, leeks and persimmons are not regulars on my shopping list. There were also so yummy treats like black grapes, Bosc and Bartlett pears which made great, healthy snacks. It was sure to be a veggie filled, healthy weekend!
What I did with my first vegetable delivery
I was on a mission to do something fun with the fresh pumpkin. So I pealed it, boiled it, pureed it and officially made my very first batch of homemade pumpkin puree. Let me tell you, it tastes soooo much better than anything out of a can. No surprise though, right? While peeling it was a bit of a brutal experience, I’m sure there is an easier way to get it done. But if you guys still have halloween pumpkins laying around, don’t let them rot. Put them to use and make some yummy stuff!
Pumpkin and Kale Cannelloni Recipe
This was so yummy! And by using fresh pumpkin puree instead of a ton of cheese, this recipe is naturally lower in fat and higher in fiber and phytochemical power! If you follow Color Yourself Skinny, this is an orange lunch recipe and makes 6 servings. It’s Vegetarian and of course GFLO (Great for Leftovers!).
- 6 cooked lasagna noodles*
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan/romano cheese blend (+6 Tbsp)
- 3 cups raw kale (chopped)
- ½ onion (diced)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 ½ cups pasta sauce
- 6 sage leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
*I used the high fiber-high protein ones, so the nutrition panel is actually a little better than what is pictured.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Add olive oil to a skillet add onions, sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Add kale, sauté for 2-3 more minutes
- Add puree, cheeses, cooked kale and onions to a large bowl and mix well
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Oil a baking pan, lay one noodle flat, fill with 1/6 of mixture and it roll up
- Repeat 5 more times
- Top each roll with ¼ cup pasta sauce and 1T parmesan cheese and one sage leaf
- 10. Cover with foil and bake for 15 min then remove foil and finish cooking for 5 more minutes
Other Healthy Snacks and Recipes I made with my veggie delivery
- Healthy snacks of apples and nut butters (cashew and almond) were awesome!
- I made my favorite roasted veggies!
- I tried this interesting Pumpkin Mug Cake from Fit Knit Chick with more of the puree (one pumpkin makes a LOT!)
- I put the rest of the kale in this Quinoa Chili Recipe from Diva’s Run for Bling (this is delicious!)
- I made a lot of green juice with the leftovers. #feelinghealthy!
- If I couldn’t figure out how to use everything in time, they provide some nice storage tips.
How to get started with your own vegetable delivery
- If you’re in the So Cal area, this is the easiest part! Check out the Farm Fresh To Your website to see if they deliver to your area. Even if you’re out of the area, do a google search for “local vegetable delivery service” and see if there is a local farmer offering a similar service in your area. It’s totally worth it!
- You follow the very simple instructions and create your account. If you’re lucky enough to have Farm Fresh To You, be sure to use discount code “TERE4489” and save $10 off your first shipment!
- You pick your box, whether you want all fruit, veggies or a mix and the size. They are reasonably priced and start at just $26. You pick your delivery date and shipment frequency. You can even customize your order, but I kind of prefer playing the vegetable lottery. Worst case, you end up with some really crazy green juice!
All I have left to do now is figure out what to do with the persimmon and the pomegranate…I welcome any and all creative ideas you may have!
*This post was sponsored by Farm Fresh To You, trust that all opinions and experiences are expressly my own.
Subscribe to Blog via Email