Fall is in the air and I was born a healthy, happy baking girl!
Recently we discovered that my boyfriend operates much better when he avoids gluten. One might think as an avid baker, this would pose a problem. Not really! With the fact that anywhere between 2-50% of us having NCGS (Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity) there is an abundance of gluten free products on the market. So making a gluten free cake is no problem!
It’s not healthy just because it’s Gluten Free
But please don’t be mistaken or mislead, just because this is a gluten free cake, that is not why I named it “Health Fall Harvest.” Unless you live a gluten free lifestyle, simply avoiding it in cake does not serve too many health benefits. Most gluten free flours are made from rice, tapioca, and/or or potato and they can be less nutrient dense and higher on the glycemic index. This cake earned it’s “healthy” descriptor when I swapped out butter for pumpkin puree and overripe bananas, cutting out a ton of fat and added a little more fiber and phytochemical power.
If you live gluten free or not, you will love this Healthy Fall Harvest cake recipe! Not only is it tasty, on the healthy side…it’s also extremely easy to put together!
• 1 gluten free yellow cake mix (or regular if you’re not into gluten-free)
• 3 eggs
• 2/3 cup water
• 2 over ripe bananas
• ½ can pumpkin puree
• 1/2 cup crushed pecans
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries
• 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Peel and mash the bananas in a large bowl.
3. Add the pumpkin and mix well.
4. Add cake mix, eggs, water, cinnamon and mix well.
5. Stir in pecans and cranberries.
6. Poor into a non-stick 8×8 cake pan.
7. Bake 45-50 min, until tooth pick comes out of center clean.
8. Let cool and frost if desired.
Optional Frosting (Disclaimer: not healthy or skinny)
• 1 stick of butter
• 2 cups powdered sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1-3 tsp water
• Cream the butter with an electric mixer in a medium bowl.
• Add vanilla
• Slowly add sugar and 1 tsp of water at a time to “fluff”
If you liked this recipe, you might like some of my other healthy deserts!
What are your favorite Healthy-Hacks when it comes to baking?
Subscribe to Blog via Email