This blog post was sponsored by Corning Incorporated.
You may have noticed some interesting adventure images of me in Arizona a few weeks back on my Instagram, Twitter and FaceBook accounts with some curious hashtags like #GorillaGlass4, #GorillaBootcamp and #GorillaTough. I imagine you’re wondering why. Let me give you a little insight into this amazing adventure I had the pleasure of being a part of and the pretty awesome company and reasoning behind it all. It’s going to look a little something like this:
- What is Corning® Gorilla® Glass
- Why did I go to Gorilla Glass Bootcamp?
- Why this actually makes sense.
- What it means for you.
1st: What is Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4?
While the name itself doesn’t intuitively give the product away, it makes sense and I’d almost be willing to bet you’ve seen, touched or interacted with it at some point in the past five years. Gorilla Glass is the toughest cover glass yet and has been used on over 4.5 billion devices including smart phones, tablets and laptops. While you can’t actually go out and buy Gorilla Glass or have your device retrofitted with it, you can look for it when making your small electronic device purchases. Now let’s talk about why…
If you’re anything like me, you may have dropped a phone once or twice (me, like 10x and I’ve surrendered three phones and lost many productive hours to this clumsy mistake). But there is good news here. In the time I’ve spent with Corning learning about Gorilla Glass, I’ve gained insight into just how much expertise and attention they have put towards researching glass. And not just how to make tough glass, but to understand why glass breaks and how to prevent it. With this vast pile of resources and effort, I can rest assure that I’m not the only clumsy one out there. Ha!
2nd: Why did I go to Gorilla Glass Bootcamp?
About a month ago I received an email invitation to “Corning’s Blogger Bootcamp.” I will not lie, I was a little puzzled by the invitation. I’m not a stranger to the brand because I worked with them on this “at home, full body workout” post last year. But I didn’t really understand the goal or reasoning behind this event. But let me tell you, this is one of the things I love the most about this blogging adventure that I live every day. You just never know what opportunity is going to pop up in your inbox.
What was Gorilla Glass Bootcamp?
It was a three day retreat in Tucson, Arizona. Corning pulled 20 online influencers from different industries and from around the world (like literally, India, China, UK, South Africa…they were all there!). They brought us together to show off the newest version of Gorilla Glass; Gorilla Glass 4, which dramatically improves protection against drops. Here’s how we spent most of our time:
In meetings learning about the history of the company.
Hiking around the property to play with our new Galaxy Note 5 devices (which were covered in Gorilla Glass 4).
In “the lab” where we got to see the glass in full action.
Eating super yummy, healthy food!
Chatting with the researchers and other hip execs at Corning and their agencies.
Networking with the team and the global influencers they invited. Such outstanding people!
Exploring the desert on a jeep tour, which was the highlight of the trip!
3rd: Why this actually makes sense.
I spent a lot of time trying to understand:
- The rationale behind this adventure
- The team of influencers they had invited
- My relationship to it all.
Then it hit me. Here’s my take:
- This is very smart and of course, innovative, of Corning to go this route. Corning is a 165-year old company that has its roots in research and technology. Gorilla Glass is their first consumer facing product since Pyrex glassware. This is the first time they’ve talked to consumers in nearly 20 years. They are choosing to talk to the consumer through new media vs. traditional advertising. I think that’s genius.
- I was initially very surprised to see that there were only three fitness specific bloggers present at the event. The rest were tech review, dad bloggers, adventures, YouTubers, experimenters, travel bloggers and so on. While we didn’t necessarily have shared expertise, we most certainly all share our expertise via a similar method. And all of that is through the glass of small devices. We are all slowed down, if not halted, when it breaks.
- What do I have to do with tough glass? In addition to not being able to do my job without it, I also strive to share ideas, strategies, and products to help make your journey to better health and more happiness — easier, more realistic and attainable. A lot of that involves leveraging technology. From the kitchen to the road, your device helps you. And lugging around a giant, clunky, heavy, or worse, a fragile or broken device can slow you down.I love that Gorilla Glass has strived to get stronger, while becoming slimmer. Isn’t that something we’re all trying to do? It’s small but mighty, and that is something I have personally always resonated with.
Finally: What it means for you.
I encourage you to evaluate how you interact with your device and how it impacts your journey to better health and more happiness and what happens when it’s compromised.
- From the kitchen as you cook a recipe from your device, to the road while you run a prescribed workout from RunKeeper.
- To the meditation app that brings you serenity, to the journal app that helps you keep track of it all.
- The food logging app that lets you log your calories and macros to the FitBit app that keeps track of your steps and sleep patterns.
I could go on and on and on…it’s all on that device. And if and when that device breaks, it halts your access to that vital information and those oh-so-useful tools! We simply don’t have time for that today.
The peace of mind you can get from knowing your device is protected with the industry standard of toughness, the glass that is better able to withstand damage from drops, that’s valuable. Like I said earlier, you can’t retrofit your device. But you can seek it out on your next purchase or rest a bit easier if you know your current one is already covered.
Chances are, you’ll hear me remind you now again about the toughness of Gorilla Glass and the innovation behind Corning. The product is top notch as is the team behind it all. I was grateful to have been a part of this adventure and ongoing journey.
*Although this post is sponsored, all opinions are my own.
Subscribe to Blog via Email