I’ve said many times before, one of the coolest things about my industry is the awesome folks I meet along the way. Liz was actually a winner of a giveaway on my blog and when I collected her shipping address I was like “What – you’re a local San Diego healthy food blogger?” And within minutes we were insta friends. We have so much in common it’s almost crazy. After an afternoon of hiking, we decided a blog swap was a good idea and she was kind enough to share this amazing Metabolism Boosting Chili recipe with us today, which I myself, cannot wait to make! Without further ado, meet Liz!
Somebody call the Fire Department because it’s about to get #hot up in here!
I’m so excited to be guest posting today on Eat Drink and Be Skinny because I don’t know about you, but I’ve had my share of sweet treats already this season and could use a break. Don’t get me wrong, I love a Gingerbread Cookie as much as the next person, but there’s only so many I can take!
Enter- this metabolism boosting Smoked Firehouse Chili Recipe!
This recipe is perfect for the cold winter months! Unlike most traditional chili recipes, I’ve simple swapped ground beef for a lean ground turkey and textured vegetable protein blend. Say what? Yes, textured vegetable protein (aka TVP), or a vegan protein substitute that is pure ground soybean flakes. You add water or broth to it and viola, a hearty meat-like alternative with over 13 grams of protein per serving. Trust me, my husband was weary too until he tried it. Then I got the text, “Wow- this is better than beef chili! What’d you put in this?” #missionaccomplished
I like to top this recipe with a little nonfat Greek yogurt to give it a sour cream like feel (another #simpleswap!) and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese. You can always bake off some potatoes to serve up with this chili too. Or, toss some tortillas in the oven. Cut them up and you have a non-traditional take on nachos. Whatever you prefer, I promise your taste buds will be satisfied with this combination.
If you have a vegan guest, don’t sweat it! You can easily sub out the ground turkey for more TVP or extra tomatoes- my personal favorite! And it’s already gluten free, so no worries there!
FIREHOUSE SMOKED CHILI RECIPE
PREP TIME: 20 mins COOK TIME: 2 hours SERVES: 12 Cups
- 2 cups texture vegetable protein (TVP)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¾ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 oz. 97% lean ground turkey, cooked
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 8oz can reduced sodium tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1 serrano pepper, washed and diced
- 4 tomatillos, washed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- While waiting for water to boil, combine thyme, basil, mustard powder, jalapeno powder, cayenne pepper and paprika in a small bowl.
- Remove from heat and add 2 cups of the TVP, stir until completely mixed.
- Slowly stir in the spice mixture to the TVP.
- In a crock pot set to low heat, add all ingredients together and stir.
- Let simmer for at least two hours for the flavors to meld together.
Remove and enjoy with a fresh biscuit!
A little bit more about Elizabeth Shaw, MS, RD, CLT
Hi, I’m Liz! Registered Dietitian and Certified Health Nut in San Diego, CA. I’ve had a passion for food, fitness and fun my entire life and am now have been able to have found a career I can do all three at the same time…enter, self-employment! I currently own my own business and am venturing into all sorts of new avenues in the nutrition field which I truly love. If you’re looking for simple ways to healthify your life, head on over to Shaw’s Simple Swaps!
Subscribe to Blog via Email