How many colors can you stuff into one pasta dish? While this simple little pile of deliciousness may look like nothing more than processed/refined pasta and what could be store bought pasta sauce…it’s OH SO MUCH MORE!
You know my goal is to help you live a Clean & Colorful lifestyle by adopting the 4 Universal Diet truths – right? Just in case you forgot, here’s a refresher:
The Clean & Colorful Solution:
- Eat more whole food.
- Eat all 5 colors every day.
- Have a juice/smoothie.
- Exercise at least 21 minutes.
I believe wholeheartedly that anybody can do those four things and everybody who does will in fact look better, feel better, naturally have more energy, decrease disease and probably even lose some weight! Everything new that I create in this world of wellness will help you do one of those four things on more days than you don’t. That’s my promise.
Today, I have for you…something that helps you with the first two universal diet truths. A recipe that looks like it could be lacking in nutrition, but it’s actually a superhero of a meal in plain clothes. That’s spaghetti squash with a green pepper infused pasta sauce and I love it!
Here is why I love this Green Pepper Infused Spaghetti Squash recipe:
- It’s super easy to make
- It’s super charged with B vitamins, A and C
- It’s high in fiber with over 30% RDA
- It has 50% fewer calories than traditional pasta
- It makes great for leftovers for the next few days
- And I can’t help but point out it’s also gluten free and vegetarian
- It has 3 colors in it even though it looks like it could be one
It’s a winner through and through. Swing by the market and grab these simple ingredients. Store leftovers in single serve containers and you’re set to go for a few days. You can even add some cooked turkey meat to the sauce for a heartier treat!
Green Pepper Infused Spaghetti Squash Ingredients:
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 jar Pasta Sauce
- 2 Green Bell Peppers
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 2oz Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Healthy Recipe Directions:
Total time from in the door until on the table for this meal is about 1:15, but your effort is really only about 20 min. So plan accordingly and you’re set for the week! If you have any doubts about this spaghetti squash shredding concept, feel free to check out my video demonstration on eHow Food!
- Prepare and cook the spaghetti squash by pricking it with a skewer so it does not explode in the oven. Place the entire squash in a shallow baking pan and bake at 375 for 1 hour. Remove and cool. Once cooled, cut in half, length-wise and remove the seeds. Then use a fork to “shred” the squash so it resembles spaghetti.
- Add the peppers to a deep frying pan and fill with enough water to cover the bottom. About 2 cups. Sauté the green peppers and diced garlic cloves until soft and tender. Place in the food processor to puree.
- Pour prepared tomato sauce into a saucepan to heat, add the green pepper puree and mix well bringing to a simmer.
- Place the “spaghetti” on a large plate, top with pasta sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
This makes 4 servings technically, but if you’re getting ready for the week ahead, feel free to double up your efforts. It will keep for 3-5 days once you cover it up and store it in the fridge. In fact, it may taste a bit better on day 2? Each serving has about 350 caloires, 11g fat, 8g fiber and 11 g of fiber. Plus…whatever protein you decide to add.
Want more Clean & Colorful Recipes like this?
This is Green Pepper Infused Spaghetti Squash is one of my original recipes that made the cut into the new Clean & Colorful 28-Day Recipe Guide that is coming out in just a few short weeks as a part of my new on-line program. The program is stuffed full of 150+ recipes, meal plans, workout guides, coaching, camaraderie…everything you need to put clean & colorful living in the forefront of your life. Get the Free Jumpstart Guide here and get a few more details about the new online program and join the waitlist here!
Ready for a great day? Go do it!
Subscribe to Blog via Email