I’ve been wanting to share this recipe for months and I’m so happy that I get to share it now! It’s perfect timing as the weather is just warming up and summer is tapping us on the shoulder politely to let us know she’s waiting. I made these turkey burgers in true Color Yourself Skinny style. For those of you on the plan, this is a green dinner. I took my original, already pretty healthy recipe and then optimized it by stuffing a whole bunch more goodness (like quinoa and spinach) in there and topping it with more green goodness.
So mix these up, pat them down and toss them on the grill the next time you’re looking for a healthy turkey burger recipe! This recipe will make 6 patties, but for those of you looking to maximize your time at the grill, double the recipe and have these on hand for the week. They will reheat well and be great lunches on the go or a quick high protein snack if you take down just the patty.
Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe
- 1.5 pound Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups finely chopped Spinach
- ½ cup diced Onion
- 6 Hamburger Buns
- 6T Dijon mustard
- 6 T BBQ Sauce
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Cucumber
- In a large mixing bowl, add turkey, quinoa, egg, spinach, onion and egg. Mix well.
- Divide into 6 equal portions, 6oz each and form into patties the shape of your buns.
- Heat a frying pan or grill to medium high heat. Add patties cover and let cook until turkey is opaque, then flip over. About 3-5 minutes. These are pretty crumbly, so use a big spatula and flip quickly! If you have a grill basket, that is probably a good idea to keep these intact. Cover and continue to cook about another 3-5 minutes, until cooked through.
- While patties are cooking, slice cucumbers, avocado and prepare spinach as topping and toast your buns.
- Place each bun on a plate, add 1 T BBQ sauce on bottom, 1 T of mustard on top bun. Add 1/6 of the sliced cucumbers, avocado and raw spinach leaves. Add cooked patty, cover and serve!
Enjoy these yummy treats with your friends and family under sunshine and over smiles! They might be a little messy, but they will leave everybody really happy!
Do you have a favorite summer grilling recipe? I’d love to hear about it!
Ventura Training Marathon Update:
Last week I posted that I’ll be sharing a summary of my training every week for the Ventura Marathon on September 7th – 15 weeks away from yesterday. I am training, let me report that week one was easy-peasy and I got in a slow and pretty choppy 26 miles over four runs with only one performance run and a pool workout. Easy and slow start, glad I have plenty of time!
Subscribe to Blog via Email