Summer is here and so are those summertime BBQs. Obviously, for many of us out there, burgers are a staple at these things. So let’s clean up our BBQ outings by swapping traditional burgers with healthier turkey burgers!
Why turkey burgers?
As long as you’re buying high quality lean ground turkey that is mostly white meat, turkey burgers are going to be a healthier option for you than traditional beef burgers. Take Foster Farms Organic Turkey for example. Their ground turkey is raised free range on a certified organic vegetarian diet that is free of added hormones.
For me, it’s super important to use an organic product when I do cook with meat which is why Foster Farms Organic Turkey is my preferred choice for the Clean & Colorful Kitchen. (If you’re looking for Foster Farms Organic Turkey, they’re more widely available in West Coast Target stores.)
Turkey burgers are leaner and higher in protein than some beef burgers depending on the fat content you choose. According to My Fitness Pal, the macro nutrition for 4 ounces of 80/20 ground beef (which is a popular choice for grilling burgers) breaks down as follows: 23 grams of fat, 20 grams of protein, 0 carbohydrates. The macro nutrition for four ounces of Foster Farms Organic Turkey breaks down as follows: 8 grams of fat, 22 grams of protein, 0 carbohydrates.
As you can see, the protein factor is slightly higher for the ground turkey, but where ground turkey comes in as the real winner is in fat content. You could basically eat three servings of ground turkey for every one serving of 80/20 ground beef before consuming 23 grams of fat.
Making these tasty turkey burgers
Mix these up, pat them down and toss them on the grill the next time you’re looking for a healthy turkey burger recipe! This recipe will make 6 patties, but for those of you looking to maximize your time at the grill, double the recipe and have these on hand for the week. They will reheat well and be great lunches on the go or a quick high protein snack if you take down just the patty.
Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe
- 1.5 pound Foster Farms Organic Turkey – lean
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups finely chopped Spinach
- ½ cup diced Onion
- 6 Hamburger Buns
- 6T Dijon mustard
- 6 T BBQ Sauce
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Cucumber
- In a large mixing bowl, add turkey, quinoa, egg, spinach, onion and egg. Mix well.
- Divide into 6 equal portions, 6oz each and form into patties the shape of your buns.
- Heat a frying pan or grill to medium high heat. Add patties cover and let cook until turkey is opaque, then flip over. About 3-5 minutes. These are pretty crumbly, so use a big spatula and flip quickly! If you have a grill basket, that is probably a good idea to keep these intact. Cover and continue to cook about another 3-5 minutes, until cooked through.
- While patties are cooking, slice cucumbers, avocado and prepare spinach as topping and toast your buns.
- Place each bun on a plate, add 1 T BBQ sauce on bottom, 1 T of mustard on top bun. Add 1/6 of the sliced cucumbers, avocado and raw spinach leaves. Add cooked patty, cover and serve!
Enjoy these yummy treats with your friends and family under sunshine and over smiles! They might be a little messy, but they will leave everybody really happy!
Do you have a favorite summer grilling recipe? I’d love to hear about it!
Look & feel great with the Clean & Colorful 3-Day Detox
Are all of the summer BBQ’s, apps and drinks on a patio somewhere and ice cream throwing off your healthy eating habits? Do you feel bloated, a tad bit out of control when it comes to your food choices, and like everything is fitting a bit tighter?
If so, don’t get down on yourself! These things happen especially when there are so many delicious items to eat and drink. When this happens, make sure to give the Clean & Colorful 3-Day Detox a try to get back on track!
What you can expect from the 3-Day Detox:
- To lose between 3-5 pounds by the end of the detox.
- To rid your system of processed food and junk.
- To feel great and have more energy!
- To reset from junky eating and get back on track with eating the way your body was meant to eat for optimal performance.
- Get recipes for my most popular shakes, juices and soups.
- You won’t feel hungry or get bored with this detox!
Subscribe to Blog via EmailTeresa Marie Howes, BS, CPT, HHPTeresa Marie is a nutrition expert, fitness enthusiast and health coach. She is backed with a BS in Nutrition, an MBA, a CPT from ACE and 16+ years of experience in the weight loss and wellness space. She is the founder and lead contributor of this site and coaches clients across the globe on how to achieve better health and more happiness by implementing the 4 Universal Diet Truths of her Clean & Colorful Concept.