Ohhhh the deceptive nature of this title! But it’s not out of thin air, I get this question and personally feel this way often. In fact, this post is inspired by this text I just received today from one of my dearest friends:
I’m suddenly a disaster. Need to lose 10 lbs ASAP. What are your thoughts? I don’t know what kind of rut I’m in, but I need out of it. Quickly. What’s the fastest and most effective way to do it?
When Diet’s and Detoxes DON’T Work
It’s tricky because there is the proverbial battle between “diet” and “lifestyle.” The long term notion and essentially, proven fact, that “diets don’t work.” I agree, extreme measures for short periods of time will not solve long-term problems for those with detrimental lifestyle habits.
People who always eat crappy food and never exercise will find little benefits from a short term “detox” program. Especially one that is so extreme that it’s uncomfortable and impossible to sustain, leaving the healthy hopeful more discouraged than ever. This is almost always a waste of time, energy and potentially resources.
When Diet’s and Detoxes DO Work
But I disagree because many of us have very healthy, active, balanced lifestyles and sometimes we just fly off the handle on let’s say, a 10 day vacation to the Hamptons or 2 back to back, 4-day weekends. These uncommon situations lead us off our balanced, healthy lifestyles for a short period of time, but with pretty toxic effects. Vacation does leave a residue that can make it pretty hard to get back into the swing of things.
In these cases, I think following a few simple “rules” for a short period of time can actually be quite helpful. Yes, a lot of what you lose is the puffy water weight from the retox, but so what. Feeling lighter is always motivating and if you follow these “rules” you’re just loading your body of high quality nutrients and limiting anything too toxic or acidic until you feel better again and back in balance.
Disclaimer: I am the queen of detox and retox.
I have lived this lifestyle for over 20 years. I’m excellent 80% of the time. I eat tons of veggies, drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep, meditate, exercise, cook all my own food from scratch and blah blah blah. It’s quite lovely really. The other 20% I’m a wild-woman who indulges in wine, chocolate, cheese, late nights, burritos and sleeping in. This lifestyle is not for everyone, so feel free to blow me off if this isn’t for you.
10 Rules to lose 10 Lbs Fast!
- Stop drinking alcohol. Sorry, not sorry. I think we all know alcohol has calories and can lead to poor decisions and crappy workouts.
- Lemon water in the morning. I like 16 oz of room temperature water with about 1 tsp lemon juice first thing in the am. Before anything else. It’s a nice way to get your body going.
- Drink 1 gallon of water a day. Maybe more, maybe less depending on your body, but drink 100% more than you usually do. Give all those pesky “toxins” a nice way to get out of your body.
- Sweat. Through exercise, hot yoga, sauna or steam room. I like to think of this process and “ringing out the sponge” You’re filling up your body with all this water, sweating it out and refilling it again. It feels cathartic, cleansing.
- Dieter’s Tea. Can work like magic on your colon. Be prepared, it can be alarming and limit your ability to leave the house. #iwarnedyou 😉 This is my favorite. Use it sparingly because your body will in fact get used to it, which is not good in the long term.
- Eat Plants. Like all plants. If it came out of the ground and does not have an ingredient’s list, you should eat it. They are full of fiber, water, vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals that will help you bounce back and feel oh-so-amazing.
- Quit with the processed food. The opposite of the rules above apply. If it has a label, ingredients that aren’t actually food, don’t eat it.
- Eat Less Animals and Animal Products. There is a longer story here, but generally, food that comes from animals (meat & dairy) have an acid forming impact on your body (along with other things you love like sugar, caffeine and booze). Which is kind of fine, because your body has a natural buffering system that keeps you from dying. But it takes work and if you’re trying to let your body relax, recharge and flush weight, it’s best to make things easier on your system — deal?
- Exercise. At the end of the day, permanent weight loss does require a caloric deficit. Eating fiber rich plants, cutting junk out of your diet and drinking tons of water will help you eat less food. You can speed up the process by burning more calories. Whether you like HIIT, Steady State Cardio or weight training, yoga — whatever. If it gets your heart rate up, you’ll use more energy and lose weight.
- Meditate. All of this can be hard to do. It’s easy for about 3-5 days. Then the fun wears off (along with the easiest 3-5 lbs) and temptations start to rise. A daily meditation practice where you’re focusing on yourself as a whole and tuning into your body’s intuition can go a long way towards achieving any goal.
How long will it take?
It will vary from person to person, how much food you eat, how puffed up you were, how much you exercise and so on. But you can expect that the first 5 will come off in like the first week. The second set is tricker because it’s actually weight, not so much water and waste. It can take up to a month or longer. But the good news is that these 10 rules are all positive lifestyle habits (less the dieters tea) that won’t have a negative impact in the long term so long as you’re not extremely limiting your calories for an extended period of time.
What are your favorite ways to cut the crap and get back on track ASAP?
Subscribe to Blog via Email