Hot damn, this girl is excited! Football season has been teasing us with pre-season games for a few weeks and now the real deal is just about here! With football season, comes Monday Night Football! And with Monday Night Football, often comes not-so-healthy snacks or habits. How about we put a twist on it this season and combine it with #MeatlessMonday?
The Meatless Monday Night Football Challenge
Take the #MeatlessMondayNight challenge with me and spark real change! Adopting a more plant-based diet can start with making a change one day a week – so why not start by sidelining meat during Monday night football games this season?
Did you know that reducing your meat intake just one day a week can have a considerable impact on your health. It can increase life expectancy while reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer, obesity and diabetes. And if every American ate meatless just one day per week all year it would be the equivalent of taking ½ million cars off the road.
It does not mean you need to give up all your favorites either, just make a few swaps! You might find that not only is it better for the planet, that you feel better too? I’m not a vegetarian, but I do order meatless whenever I can. I think they call that a “flexatarian.” And that I’m very good at! I feel like I get a good balance of all important macro and micronutrients and it fuels me to be a stronger runner.
Meatless Monday Night Football Snacks
If you’re wondering what snack you can bring to your first Monday Night Football Fiesta, I cooked these up yesterday afternoon and was feeling pretty clever about it. They are clearly meatless, but also dairy and gluten free. I also snuck in some pretty good super foods and combined them with everybody’s favorite…POPCORN! Then I put them in a cupcake tin so they even look like little treats. If you like sweet and savory, a low calorie snack that has a little nutrition boost, add these to your Meatless Monday Night festivities!
Peanut Butter Popcorn Cups
- 1/4 cup Raw Almonds
- 1 T Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp Ground Flax Seeds
- 1 T Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1/4 cup Cashew Milk
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- 12 cups popped Popcorn
- Using a food processor or high speed blender, grind the first 5 ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, preferably one with a lid, add the popcorn and dried cranberries then coat with mixture. Shake, stir, whatever you need to do to get the gooey goodness all over the popcorn to get it to stick together. Try to avoid large gobs, it can leave the popcorn a little soggy.
- Fill a cupcake pan with muffin liners and loosely fill with coated popcorn. Smash the popcorn down in the cups as much as you can. I started with my hands and then used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to hammer/flatten the rest down. The back of a glass would work well here too.
- Pop them in the fridge and leave them there until you’re ready to serve! They will stay together outside of the cups as long as they stay chilled and will begin to fall apart when they warm up (but they are still yummy! Just a little messier).
Serving Size: 1 cup. This recipe makes 12 popcorn cups.
Nutrition: 60 calories, almost 2g fiber, 2g protein and less than one gram of sugar per cup.
If you’re looking for more ideas for more plant based recipe ideas, visit Silk’s website.
Will you be joining me in the Meatless Monday Night Challenge?
Use #MeatlessMondayNight and @EatDrinkandbeSkinny on Instagram to let me know!
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.
Subscribe to Blog via Email