Remember those black and white video images from decades ago of people standing still and machines “working them out?” Like little bands shaking around flesh like it was going to do something productive for their health? I know we laugh at those now, but here’s something kind of interesting…
When Slendertone asked me to review their newest Connect Abs device, I couldn’t help but be skeptical. But my curiosity got the best of me and I had to give it a shot. And guess what? The technology has come a long way!
What is the Slendertone Connect Abs belt?
It’s the modern day device we picture from the 50’s, but it’s a bit more sophisticated than just shaking flesh around. Ha! Slendertone Connect Abs delivers clinically proven Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) technology through an interactive mobile app to tone, firm and strengthen our core muscles. In short, you wrap it around your waist, turn it on and let it do the work. But it’s not quite as simple as that sounds (see my experience below).
How does the Slendertone Connect Abs belt work?
There are five different programs you can select and each delivers a different experience: Fitness, Essential Toning, Advanced Toning, Upcoming Event, and Post Natal. I went with the first, Fitness, which is designed to achieve 202 muscle contractions in 30 minutes and compliment an existing exercise regime and strengthen core muscles. How does it do that? Well, I’m no engineer, but according to their website, it’s a little something like this:
- Slendertone Connect uses advanced Electronic Muscle Stimulation (EMS) technology to mimic the signals your brain sends to engage your muscles during a workout.
- The unique placement of our 3 gel pads ensures all your abdominal muscles are activated, not just those underneath the gel pads.
- With over 50 years of medical expertise and extensive user evaluations, you can be confident Slendertone products deliver results.
My experience with the fancy device.
I don’t know why I’m so entertained by it, but I am! It kind of makes me giggle a little. When I first opened the packaged I charged it up as everybody should. I downloaded the app, attached the sticky gel pads, wrapped it around, tightened it up, powered it on and put it to work! I was initially surprised by how light weight, yet incredibly powerful it is!
The Fitness plan I selected suggested I use the device for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week for 6 weeks. It let’s you set a reminder, which is helpful as you add the new step to your routine. I was actually quite shocked at the magnitude of this thing! It’s like a dozen little fists punching you in the stomach at different intervals and intensities. It’s like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. I started at level 35 and never quite got over level 55. I can’t imagine what the 70+ feels like that it recommended?
I’ve used the device several times a week for about the past three weeks. Here’s what I think:
- It packs a mighty powerful punch, almost literally! It’s not as passive an activity as you might initially think.
- I was actually quite sore one morning after I cranked it up to 55. Ouch. That was a big surprise as I have a pretty decent midsection as it is.
- It’s kind of cool to put it on late at night or while you’re driving or something. A time where you normally wouldn’t be moving a ton to maximize time.
- I’m a sucker for progress and trackers so the app is actually one of my favorite things about this device.
- The battery life is outstanding! I charged it over three weeks ago when I first got it and it’s still at 45%.
How I would recommend you use the Slendertone Abs Connect:
I see how this could be a great motivator to reinforce an existing routine. I’d suggest picking up a 6 week meal plan and quick workout schedule to put all three together. Like I said, the app is really fun and great progress tool. But I’m not sure how much progress this mighty little belt can make on it’s own if you’re not fueling your body with quality nutrition and breaking a sweat here and there. But I don’t see any harm in using this as a supplement to your wellness routine.
My words of caution as a health coach.
Please don’t be under the impression that once you tighten this belt around your torso and press the “go” button your fitness efforts are complete. I’d never suggest letting a machine be responsible for your fitness and therefore contributing to better health. There are benefits to a solid workout routine beyond the shape of your abs. As the company states, this is a great supplement to, most certainly not a replacement for a solid fitness routine.
You can pick up the Slendertone Connect Abs on their online store and at retailers nationwide kike, Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, and Nordstrom.com for a SRP $229. Also be sure to check them out on Instagram for more fun info.
What would you do with a tighter tummy this Spring and beyond?
*Thank you Slendertone for sponsoring today’s post!
Subscribe to Blog via Email