Well looky here — it’s NFL Playoff season again. As a loyal San Diegan, I’m not very excited about the line ups, but generally speaking, I do love the games! And as an always health and body concious, fit gal, I am also well aware of the diet dilemma game days present. But, as with all things in life, you don’t have to hide in the broom closet to stay skinny. You just need to make smarter decisions, and here are my top tips to help you do so…
Best Sports Bar Drink Options:
I don’t know why sports and drinking are such a notorious combination, but they just are! Below are some great options if you are going to be participating in the festivities. Don’t forget to sneak in a non-alcoholic drink or water in between cocktails to stave off dehydration and keep you from wasting too many empty alcohol calories.
- 5oz Bloody Mary – 116 calories
- 5oz Virgin Mary (Bloody less the booze) – 20 calories
- 5oz Mimosa – 92 calories
- 5oz Skinny Mimosa – 72 calories
- 12oz Coors Light– 104 calories
- 12oz Bud Light – 110 calories
- 12oz Bud Select – 99 calories
- 12oz Amstel Light – 95 calories
- 12oz Non-Alcoholic Beer – 60 calories
- 9oz SkinnyTini Bolt (formerly known as the “don’t knock it ‘till you try it”). Equal parts light beer, white wine and diet sprite – 85 calories
Healthy Football Snack & Best Bar Food Bets:
Bar food is tough because it’s so yummy! Then you have a few drinks in you and all of a sudden you just don’t care. So the first trick here is to eat healthy at home before you go. Not being hungry is the easiest way to avoid temptation. But if you have to have a snack or so, try these:
- Grilled Fish Tacos (1 taco) – 165 calories (no avocado or sauce)
- Rice & Beans (1/2 cup each) – 265 calories
- Chips & Salsa (10 chips, 1/4 cup salsa) – 100 calories
- Cheese Pizza (1 thin crust slice) – 190 calories
- Turkey Chili (1 cup) – 220 calories
- French Fries (2.5 oz) – 230 calories
- Mini Beef Slider (1 burger) – 250 calories
- Chicken Strips (1 piece) – 140 calories
- Buffalo Wings (1 wingy) – 90 calories
Few More Skinny Football Tricks:
- Makes sure you beef up your regular Sunday exercise to make room for these extra calories. Games don’t start until 10am on the west coast so you have plenty of time in the morning to get in 60 min of cardio and burn 450-600 calories! Using that hour wisely means you could enjoy 2 guilt free light beers, 2 fish tacos and chips and salsa, what a deal!
- Never go anywhere hungry or “save calories” for a splurge. This will leave you starving and defenseless. Remember, a strong offense is the best defense when it comes to getting and staying skinny!
- Water, water, water! Put some lemon, lime or even fancy it up with soda water. But staying hydrated will be the best way to stave of the dehydrating effects of alcohol and the biological urge to drink more.
- Recruit a buddy! There is no reason why watching your calories has to ruin the game. Don’t make a big deal out of it and make sure you have at least one ally on your side to help out.
- If you’re watching the game at home or at a friends house, make it active and fun! Bring a football and toss it around at half time. Set up a fitness challenge where every field goal is 10 jumping jacks for the loosing teams fans and 20 burpees for each touchdown. Ha!
So there you have it, just a few skinny football tricks from this football fan. If I make it out to a bar on Sunday for a game, I’ll be sure to post on Instagram just what I got myself into. ha ha
What are you favorite game day Skinny Tricks?
Subscribe to Blog via Email