We’ve moved a mile a day, we’ve tackled our first or fastest mile we even had a 100 mile month! Welcome to the fourth running/walking challenge from the 30-Day Challenge Series: 10K STEPS A DAY (in May)!
Why Take the 10K Steps a Day Challenge?
Because “sitting is the new smoking” and moving more is a good thing! And there is a little magic behind the 10K number, research does prove we’re not just throwing darts at the wall and guessing. Health organizations agree that moving more is a great way to not only slim down but also to tone up, manage stress, boost your mood and confidence! It’s also a great way to improve your health and decrease your risk of heart disease (the #1 killer of men and women in America) and other lifestyle related degenerative diseases.
What exactly does the 10K Steps a Day Challenge involve?
This one is pretty simple, you can walk it, run it, jog it or crawl it! Just move 10k steps a day. You can do it in big chucks of planned activity, or spread throughout the day as you can fit it in. You don’t have to be sweating, you just have to be moving. On average, it’s about 5 miles each day. It may sound like a lot, but ALL STEPS COUNT!
In addition to your planned activity (traditional exercise) it’s also natural activity, like parking farther at the grocery, walking messages instead of in-offie e-mail, and 10 min casual walk breaks. The only rule is it needs to be “steps” this month. No skating, cycling or driving. You must use your body to move yourself forward for a total of 10K steps a day. It will be up to you to decide when and where to get in your steps, so long as you average 10K per day or hit 300K for the month.
Does the 10K Steps a Day Challenge Sound Hard?
It might, because 5 miles a day (150 total miles) sounds really far! But let’s get real here, we’re not just talking dedicated exercise, this is all of it! By simply committing and then making a small effort to move more and track your daily steps, you’ll be amazed at how fast it adds up! And you’ll be well on your way to building better lifestyle habits while you do it! Exercise is shown to be a “keystone habit,” so when you get in the daily fitness groove, other healthy habits naturally become easier.
Easy Ways To Get In More Steps This Month:
- Don’t drive, walk. If it’s walkable, do it. Save the planet and get to your goal faster.
- If you do drive, park really far away.
- Use less email/messaging at the office and walk to see your co-workers.
- Drink more water, you’ll have to go to the bathroom more.
- Schedule walking dates over coffee dates and weekend hikes instead of lunches.
- Get lost – ha ha, but this one is fool proof.
- Pretend your elevator is out of service this month, the stairs are there for reason.
- Require 10 min of neighborhood walking before sitting on the couch at night.
- Walk around the gym (outside the entire building) before you go it (if it’s safe of course).
See how easy it can be? All of those ideas could add up to 10K steps right there! And that’s not counting your regular exercise.
The Fine Print for the 10K Steps a Day Challenge:
- You will need some sort of device to track your steps in addition to your planned exercise. A Fitbit or any wearable device is best, but even a simple pocket pedometer will work too and they can be less expensive.
- Always be safe and alert when walking outside and schedule walking dates with buddies whenever possible. It’s more fun and there is safety in numbers.
- This challenge is designed to help you build the habit to move more! But a dramatic increase in mileage and movement can be taxing on your body as well. Be sure to check out this post on the 5 Best Stretches for Runners and take the Foam Rolling Challenge to keep you pain free and moving forward.
- At the beginning of the month you will record weight and basic measurements. At the end of the month, you will do the same thing to measure your progress.
- Use your tracker and the FaceBook Event to record your daily mileage. Let’s see how fast we can get there and how far we can go this month!
- And as with any and all 30 Day Challenges, be sure to check with your doctor before you start any new exercise regimen.
Getting Started on the 10K Steps a Day Challenge:
- Like the Teresa Marie Wellness on FaceBook now.
- Find the 10K Steps a Day Challenge under Events and click “going” then invite your friends to make it more fun.
- Get access to all the trackers by joining the community here. If you have already signed up, then you know where to find them and your monthly newsletter will arrive Wednesday 4/29 as a reminder.
- Mark your personal calendar, because your challenge starts Friday May 1st!
Don’t forget to sign up and get your fun tracker!
Be Smart. Be Safe. Have Fun. Get FIT!
Subscribe to Blog via Email