Are you ready to achieve your best self in 2014? Do it from the inside out! Food IS Fuel and you CAN ignite your super powers with the right superfoods.
What the heck is a Superfood you ask?
Think of them as drugs, but less the toxic side effects and you don’t need a prescription. There are dozens of them and they are gaining real street cred in the medical community. Between Forks Over Knives, Fat Sick & Nearly Dead and a slew of other groundbreaking documentaries — we are on the verge of a food revolution. It’s exciting and empowering to realize we have so much control over our health, happiness, wellness and longevity when it comes to the foods we select to fuel ourselves with every day. Anytime I mix up a meal with any of these bad boys, I’m compelled to hashtag it #imgonnaliveforever.
How do you get Superfood super powers?
A really simple way to decide if a food has health boosting super powers it consider the color. The brighter and denser the color, the more phytochemical super power it has. That’s the cornerstone concept of my wellness system Color Yourself Skinny 21-Day Diet Detox. One of my favorite tools in the system is the Nutrition Resource Guide that is an encyclopedia (yet written by yours truly, so it’s a little less dull) of the most popular macronutrients, vitamins, minerals, and phyothemicals and what they do to optimize your health. I also took over 80 fruits, veggies and other power foods and organized them by color and spelled out their unique super powers.
So just about anything that came from the earth and is bright in color will ignite a super power within — so do more of that every day! That said, there is a shorter list of “superfoods” that are ultra dense, offering supercharged health boosting, dis-ease fighting, and energy inducing components. Read on my healthy hopeful friends for a quick review of the Huffington Post’s top pics for 2014 superfoods!
Top Superfood: Chia seeds
- Super Power Profile: Similar to flaxseed, chia seeds are loaded with omega 3’s, protein, iron, calcium and fiber (5 grams per tablespoon)! Once in your stomach, these seeds expand 10 times their size, making you feel fuller than most foods. Bonus points over flaxseed – they keep much longer and do not need to be ground.
- Try them this way: Sprinkle them on oatmeal, yogurt, salads, or add into a smoothie. Try a 7 day Chia Challenge and test 7 different recipes.
- Where to get: Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds, 12-Ounce Bag – $7.99
Top Superfood: Spirulina
- Super Power Profile: Here is your winner if you are looking for a protein powder that isn’t whey, egg or soy based. Similar to chlorella, spirulina is a natural powder high in chlorophyll that detoxifies, alkalizes and provides a power boost to your immune system. On top of that, 2 teaspoons offers omega-3s, calcium, and a range of other essential vitamins.
- Try it this way: Easy peasy, add to your next smoothie or find ways to incorporate it into your next dinner recipe at spirulinajunkie.com! You can also buy them in a pill format and pop them throughout the day. But I’ve always been a fan of power smoothies.
- Where to get: Earth Circle Organics Spirulina Powder, 8-Ounce – $14.49
Top Superfood: Cacao Nibs/Powder
- Super Power Profile: The power behind dark chocolate lies in this flavonoid-filled antioxidant powerhouse, which reaps cardiovascular benefits that help your cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels stay in check. The so-called “New Red Wine” also packs in a hefty serving of iron and magnesium. Super power perk: a spoonful of powder signals the release of mood-boosting neurotransmitters!
- Try it this way: Add a spoonful with a frozen banana to the food processor or and indulge in cocoa-banana-fro-yo! Or, like any other food, dump it in the blender with your protein shake. And remember it’s great in the morning too – add it to your coffee, pancakes, or put the nibs in your granola.
- Where to get the Nibs: Sunfood Cacao Nibs, Certified Organic, Non-GMO, 8oz – $11.30
- Where to get the Powder: Navitas Naturals, Raw Chocolate Powder, Organic, 16-Ounce Pouches-$18.95
Top Superfood: Goji Berries
- Super Power Profile: A new supplement to our range of berries, these tangy berries are an ancient superfood that have been used to treat a multitude of conditions including diabetes and high blood pressure. The structure of the berry supports the growth of good-for-you intestinal bacteria, they are also full of beta carotene and an antioxidant called astaxanthin, both of which are great for your skin!
- Try them this way: Pair the berries with yogurt or oatmeal, or make a homemade trail mix by adding them to nuts or granola. With a texture similar to raisins when dried, the berries also baked into bread or healthy cookies, and are perfect for an on-the-go snack!
- Where to get: Sunfood Goji Berries, Certified Organic, Non-GMO, 8oz $14.49
Top Superfood: Kale
- Super Power Profile: An antioxidant powerhouse rich in vitamins A, C, and K, kale is the new “green” food. It’s high in fiber, low calorie and zero fat, kale also offers up a hefty dose of calcium and is known as an anti-inflammatory food.
- Try it this way: It’s super easy to add to the juicer, smoothies, pasta, salad or soup! While kale is a great addition to recipes, it’s even yummy in its own crunchy form! Make your own kale chips easily or find them in stores – honey mustard, cool ranch, and Texas barbecue make the list of top flavors.
- Where to get: at any local grocery store! Because it’s a leafy veggie, it is a good one to get organic and wash thoroughly.
Try these great #imgonnaliveforever recipes from around the web!
- Try this Goji-Cacao-Berry-Bliss smoothie from Sweet Potato Soul packing cacoa powder and goji berries. Add chia seeds or spirulina for an extra boost!
- Drink up all your superfoods in one sip! Spirulina, kale, and and chia seeds make up this cleansing and energizing smoothie from Deliciously Ella. As if one wasn’t enough!
What’s your favorite super food and what super power are you looking forward to?
Subscribe to Blog via Email